Piano is not only a fun and artistic thing to learn but also offers lifetime benefits for learning such a beautiful instrument. However, the one thing elemental in motivating yourself to learn piano is a good piano teacher. They will help you learn the techniques, inspire you to do well, and also encourage you to go beyond your comfort zone to grow as an artist.
If you are looking for a good teacher to teach you piano lessons Sydney, then use the following tips:
Determine your Motivation:
First things first, before anything else you need to see how motivated you are to learn something new and as complex as a piano. What kind of music do you enjoy? Will you be able to play its rendition on a piano? Once that is out of the way, start defining goals that you want to achieve by learning to play piano. Start by writing small goals and make sure that they are achievable as well as attainable.
Qualities to Look for in a Teacher
Once you know your goals, you would now need guidance of a qualified teacher who have the experience of training absolute beginners and are well-versed with the basic teaching methodologies. If you are interested in a particular genre, then you should look for a teacher who is an expert in that category. Want to learn jazz? Find a piano teacher who specializes in jazz.
You can also assess the piano teacher by asking the following pertinent questions:
- Will you provide the list of former clients or their letters of recommendation?
- Have you ever worked with beginners and how far could you lead that student?
- Do you have experience with adults or you only work with children?
- Do you have a studio to teach the students or do you take home classes?
- How many years of experience do you have for teaching the students?
Always enquire about their background and years of experience when looking for an expert in something as specialized as piano.
Make sure that the teaching methods followed by the teacher are beneficial for you. for many beginners, the first teacher can be the difference between learning for the rest of their lives or quitting altogether.
A good teacher is the one who is empathetic, has patience, positive attitude, and knows how to push you when required. They should also reward you when you achieve a certain level. All in all, they should make the learning fun and interesting.
Tips to Find a Piano Teacher
Here is how you can start your search:
- Start looking online and gather a list of names based on experience, specialization, reviews, curriculum etc. You can also look for local teachers online. Carefully browse through the portfolio before moving on to the next step.
- Check student reviews to get an idea about their teaching methods and work ethic.
- Contact them personally to finalize the timings, course expectations and deliverables, duration etc.
It is always better to start working with someone who is an expert in their field and has professional experience. Even though you may take lessons from friends or family members but it may not turn out to be as effective. So invest in a new skill and get yourself a teacher!
About Ashly William:
Ashly William is a freelance writer, with years of experience, creating content for varied online portals. Her content is published on many national and international publications. She has expertise in writing about Art & Entertainment.